Monday 1 December 2008

Getting organised - Finding the Inner Bean Counter

This is for my brother, and if everyone had a brother like mine all kid sisters would have enough pocket money. Not to say he is an unfettered delight all of the time but he is helping me sort out my money. And this is what is needed.

There is no way that anyone can run a business until they have their eye on the bottom line and that does come down to money - to being a bean counter. No one can make bean stew until they have awakened their Inner Bean Counter.

My brother is visiting on an almost weekly basis at the moment. He wants to get my finances set up efficiently so that not a penny is wasted and not a penny more than necessary is given to the government to spend on the War in Iraq and arresting MPs. This means developing three key identities

Liz the company director of Well and Working Ltd
from Liz, the self employed writer and journalist
and Liz, the spendthrift, head in the clouds, daydreaming clown



These identities are powerful - not least because they are tax efficient! -
The only one that has to pay standard tax is the spendthrift clown - and this is the one that should not be trusted with anything more than a sixpence.

Most of all, Chris - thanks for being patient, while I act out my two year old toddler neuroticisms and anxieties over money - I will do my best to grow and develop a mature persona regarding money so that you and I, Salma and Martin can get rich together. In the meantime, we will keep a roof over our heads and food on the table.

This weeks lesson - Organisation gets the money organised!

This weeks targets:

1) Each set of bank statements in their own ring binder (see 3)
2) Find Well & Working's missing statements (I hope the bank doesn't have my attitude to paperwork and has kept copies)
3) 12 red ring binders - (the shop - easy)
4) Bank statements for income tax return 2007 / 8
5) Phone Inland revenue help desk 0845 6055999 to get the information to submit my income tax returns on line as it is now too late to send off the form
6) Start keeping some kind of record of the money I spend

Copyright Dr Liz Miller 2008

No comments: