Thursday 23 October 2008

The Beginning of the Business - Getting the systems in place



The Deep Tidy is complete - I have a house that I can tidy in under an hour, which feels good. But it is not enough to be tidy, it is also necessary to be organised, and being organised is a different process from tidying up. Yes, my house is on the whole tidy, so tidy that last night I managed to find a variable output transformer. And did not have to pull the place apart to do so.

Clutter is the bane of the age - too much cheap tat! in our minds, in our houses, and everywhere around. There was a good reason that monks and prophets did not bother with worldly goods. It is difficult to commune with god and have visions if you are constantly interupted by a mobile phone ringing.

Get the business going
I have a bank account and some money in the bank, although at the moment work seems to have dried up. Hopefully that will be temporary. Everyone needs a business, and the clever bit is to build the business before you get the idea. It is a lot harder when you are trying to build a business and develop an idea!

I went on a course called "Getting Paid" courtesy of Clearlearning and my new Barclays Bank Account. FANTASTIC!! - even better because I was the only person on it - thanks Hannah. Getting paid is what business is about. Simple high quality information about how not to get stung! I wish I had been on it last year before I set up the business. It ought part of the sixth form national curriculum. Part of citizenship studies. Lets teach young people something they can use in later life - (I feel a rant coming on). We all have to get paid, Wimps wait around for a monthly pay slip! - learn to go out and fight for your money. Better still learn how to get your money, on your terms and for yourself, without the state taking its share first

Accounts scare me to death. This is not good. My brother came over to give me a head start with the book keeping. If you haven't got a brother, get a book keeper! These systems should have been in place long before I opened the doors. However, there is hope - because a) my brother is efficient and b) I am entering a quiet spell which will give me a chance to get the systems up and ready. So I need to make sure everything is well organised, and that keeps changing as the system of organisation adapts to what I will need as I develop the Systems to make this a world class business.

Organising is harder than tidying. Setting up Robust Systems is harder still! Systems need to reflect the way you do things and be effective and efficient way for your business does business

The strength of a business is in its Systems, and in its People. Good Systems will guide the people using them and good people will make the systems work. Good Systems and Good People together make a Good Living, recession or no recession!

Recap on Making your Living

1) Dont wait for the Genius Idea

2) Get started with the Acquiring, Perfecting and Exploiting skills - the APE cycle



3) Do the Deep Tidy



4) Get organised

5) Start the Business

6) Get Systems in place


Copyright Dr Liz Miller 2008

No comments: